Butter (for the pan)
3 cups leftover chili
Salt and black pepper, to taste
12 ounces whole-wheat penne
12 ounces (about 3 cups) grated sharp cheddar
1. Set the oven at 375 degrees. Butter a 9-by- 13-inch baking dish.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the chili, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until hot.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until it is tender but still has some bite.
4. Drain the pasta in a colander but do not rinse it. Return it to the pot. Add the chili and 1 cup of the cheese. Stir until the cheese melts. Add salt and black pepper.
5. Transfer the pasta to the baking dish, and top with remaining 2 cups cheese. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the cheese melts and the top is golden.