Paisano sausage sandwiches
Sausages with peppers and onions are irresistible on crusty rolls. These are made with chicken sausages, but you can also use turkey.
4 large sweet Italian chicken sausages (about 1 3/4 pounds)
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, thinly sliced
2 red, orange, or green bell peppers, cored and thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon oregano
Pinch crushed red pepper
Salt and black pepper, to taste
4 sub rolls, or 1 baguette cut in 4 pieces, halved lengthwise
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees.
2. With the tip of a sharp knife, prick the sausages in several places. In a large, deep skillet over medium heat, bring 2 inches of water to a boil. Add the sausages. If necessary, add more water to cover them. Let the water return to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer the sausages for 8 minutes. With tongs, turn the sausages and cook for another 8 minutes, or until the sausages are cooked through. Transfer the sausages to a plate. With a large knife, slice the sausages in half lengthwise.
3. Discard the water in the skillet. Return the skillet to medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onions, peppers, garlic, oregano, crushed red pepper, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft and beginning to brown.
4. Transfer the pepper mixture to a bowl; keep warm. Wipe out the skillet with paper towels. Return the skillet to medium heat. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place the halved sausages, flat sides down, in the pan. Cook for 3 minutes, turn, and cook 3 minutes more or until golden.
5. Heat the rolls on a baking sheet for 5 minutes. Fill the rolls with sausages, spoon the pepper mixture over them and sprinkle with feta.