Serves 4 with leftovers
3 pounds beef round steak, cut in 8 equal pieces
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons canola oil
3 large onions, thinly sliced
4 mixed green, red, and yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons butter
1 can (16 ounces) diced tomatoes
2 cups water
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Place the meat between 2 large sheets of plastic wrap, leaving ample room all around. With the flat side of a meat bat or the bottom of a heavy skillet, pound each piece of meat to an even thickness of about 3/4 inch. If you’re using a meat bat, use the textured side to pound each piece on both sides, leaving light indentations. Transfer the meat to a plate and sprinkle with salt and black pepper on both sides.
2. On a plate, mix together flour and paprika. Dip each piece of meat into the flour mixture, lightly coating both sides.
3. In a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon canola oil. Add the onions, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes, or until softened. Transfer the onions to a bowl.
4. Add 1 tablespoon canola oil to the pan. When it is hot, add the bell peppers. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes, or until softened. Add the peppers to the onions. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the pepper mixture for the subs. Wipe out the pan.
5. In the skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil over medium high heat. When it is hot, add the butter. When it melts, add 4 pieces of the meat. Cook 4 minutes on a side, or until well browned. Transfer to a plate, and cook the remaining pieces in the same way. Remove all the meat from the pan.
6. Add the tomatoes to the pan and cook, stirring, to release the sediment. Add the water and return the meat and pepper mixture to the pan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and cover the pan. Simmer for 30 minutes.
7. Remove the lid and continue simmering for 15 minutes. (Total cooking time is 45 minutes.) Taste for seasoning, and add more salt and pepper, if you like. Reserve 4 pieces of meat for the steak and cheese subs.
8. Serve the steak garnished with the pepper mixture. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with mashed potatoes or buttered noodles.