Green chili stew
About 4 dozen Anaheim chili peppers (enough to make 3 cups roasted and chopped)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds pork butt, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 small onions, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
5 cups chicken stock
3 teaspoons salt, to taste
4 small red or white potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1. Turn on the broiler. Set the chilies in a large roasting pan. Broil for 5 minutes on a side or until charred all over. Place peppers in a plastic bag, seal it, and set aside for 15 minutes. Peel and core the chilies. Chop coarsely. Set aside.
2. In a large flameproof casserole over medium high heat, heat the vegetable oil. Brown the meat, turning often, for 5 minutes. Remove from the pan.
3. Add the onions and cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.
4. Return the meat to the pan with any juices that have accumulated around it. Add the stock and salt. Bring to a boil. Add the potatoes, lower the heat, cover the pan, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
5. Add the Anaheim chilies and bell pepper. Simmer 30 minutes more. Total cooking time is 2 hours.
6. Add the cilantro, stir well, and taste for seasoning. Add more salt, if you like.