Baked stuffed potatoes with green chilies, corn, and tortilla chips
If you find yourself with lots of leftover mashed potatoes, don’t make more. Use them without adding the sour cream and milk listed here, but do add the cheese, chilies, scallions, and remaining ingredients. Bake in a buttered baking dish for 35 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
8 large russet potatoes
2 tablespoons canola oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
8 ounces sour cream
1 cup milk
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup grated cheddar
1 can (4 ounces) green chilies
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips
Hot sauce (for sprinkling)
1 ripe avocado, sliced (for garnish)
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Set potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet, rub with canola oil, and season liberally with salt. Bake for 90 minutes, or until tender.
2. Turn the oven up to 425 degrees.
3. When potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice a very thin piece from the bottoms so they sit flat. Slice off the top third of potatoes.
4. Use a small spoon to scoop out the insides, keeping the skin intact; be careful not to poke a hole in the bottom or break through the sides. Peel the tops of the potatoes, and discard the skins.
5. In a large bowl, mash potato flesh from the bottoms and tops with sour cream, milk, salt, and pepper. Fold in corn, 3/4 cup cheddar, green chilies, and scallions. Using a small spoon, fill the skins with the mashed potato mixture, mounding it generously in each one.
6. Set the potatoes on the baking sheet. Sprinkle each with crushed tortilla chips and remaining cheddar. Bake for 30 minutes or until potatoes are hot in the center and golden on top.
7. Sprinkle with hot sauce. Serve with sliced avocado.