Wild rice and chestnut bake
2 cups (14 ounces) wild rice
4 2/3 cups water
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons butter
Butter (for the dish)
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 onion, chopped
12 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
1 can (14 ounces) chestnuts, drained and chopped
1 tablespoon chopped sage
1/2 cup dry sherry
1 bunch scallions, chopped
1 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1. In a large pot, combine rice, water, salt, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and cover the pan. Simmer for 50 minutes. Remove from heat, discard the bay leaf, and stir in the 2 tablespoons butter. Set aside, covered, for 10 minutes.
2. Set the oven at 425 degrees. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the canola oil. Cook the onion and mushrooms, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until tender.
4. Add the chestnuts, sage, and sherry. Cook for 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
5. Stir in the rice, scallions, parsley, salt, and pepper. Transfer to the baking dish.
6. In a small bowl, combine panko, Parmesan, and remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil. Sprinkle over the rice.
7. Bake for 20 minutes or until the mixture is hot and top is golden.
Karoline Boehm Goodnick