Serves 6 as a snack
Depending on the curry you use, this simple dish can be mildly spicy to hot.
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 rounded teaspoon curry powder
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 cup water
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 large pork, turkey, or chicken sausages or bratwurst or bockwurst
Extra curry powder (for sprinkling)
6 soft bread rolls
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes or until the onion softens. Stir in the curry powder and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in the tomato paste and cook 1 minute more.
2. Add the tomatoes, ketchup, vinegar, water, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring often, for 20 minutes or until thickened.
3. In a blender, puree the sauce until smooth. Return to the pan and set over low heat to keep warm. Taste for seasoning, and add more salt or curry powder, if you like.
4. Prick the sausages well all over. Grill or pan-fry sausages, turning often, for 8 minutes or until hot and cooked through. Transfer to a board and cut into 1-inch pieces. Divide the sausages among 6 plates.
5. Sprinkle the sausages with curry powder and spoon sauce over them. Serve with soft rolls. Ann Trieger Kurland. Adapted from Currywurst restaurant