Crown Jewel Dessert
3 packages (3 ounces each) orange, cherry, and lime Jell-O gelatin
4 cups boiling water
1 1/2 cups cold water
1 package (3 ounces) Jell-O lemon gelatin
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
5 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups heavy cream, whipped until it holds soft peaks
1. Have on hand three 8-inch square pans and a 9-inch springform pan.
2. Prepare the orange, cherry, and lime gelatins separately, using 1 cup boiling water and 1/2 cup cold water for each. Pour each flavor into one of the square pans. Refrigerate for several hours or until firm (or overnight).
3. In a bowl, combine the lemon gelatin, sugar, and remaining 1 cup boiling water; stir until gelatin and sugar dissolve. Stir in pineapple juice. Chill until slightly thickened.
4. Meanwhile mix the crumbs and melted butter; press into the bottom of the springform pan.
5. Cut the squares of orange, cherry, and lime gelatins into 1/2-inch cubes.
6. Fold the cream into the lemon gelatin mixture. Fold in the gelatin cubes. Pour into the springform pan. Chill at least five hours, or overnight.
7. Run a knife or spatula around the pan to loosen the dessert. Unsnap the side latch. If you like, spread additional whipped cream on the top and sides. Adapted from from “Joys of Jell-O’’