|(Catherine Smart for The Boston Globe)|
Baked grits with shrimp in spicy tomato sauce
4 cups cooked polenta, spread into one thin layer and chilled
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons capers
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 cup white wine
2 cups leftover cooked shrimp and pancetta
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Remove the plastic wrap from the grits. Let them sit at room temperature for half an hour.
2. Set oven at 350 degrees.
3. Bake the grits for 20 minutes until they are crisp on top.
4. In large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic, capers, fennel seeds, and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and wine. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Add the shrimp mixture and simmer for 3 minutes or until the shrimp are just heated through; take care not to overcook them.
6. Stir in the parsley, taste for seasoning, and add more salt and black pepper, if you like. Cut the grits into squares and set on each of 4 plates. Top with the shrimp and sauce. Catherine Smart