Recipe for curried lentil soup with crisp shallots
Finishing this soup with crisp shallots, along with scallions, cilantro, and Greek yogurt, adds an extra element of freshness. If you have any leftover soup, store the shallots separately from the liquid and add them after reheating.
|1||onion, finely chopped|
|2||carrots, finely chopped|
|1||clove garlic, finely chopped|
|1||tablespoon curry powder|
|1½||cups green lentils|
|6||cups chicken stock|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
1. In a soup pot over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the onion, carrots, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until fragrant.
2. Add the lentils, stock, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer the soup, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes.
|2||shallots, thinly sliced|
|2||tablespoons vegetable oil|
|Salt to taste|
|¼||cup Greek yogurt|
|4||scallions, thinly sliced|
|¼||cup chopped fresh|
1. Place sliced shallots between two pieces of paper towel and press down firmly to pat them dry.
2. In a small skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil. When it is hot, add half the shallots and cook, turning gently with a spatula, for 5 minutes, or until they are brown and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Sprinkle with salt. Repeat with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and remaining shallots.
3. Taste the soup for seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if you like. Ladle the soup into 4 bowls. Top each bowl with yogurt, scallions, cilantro, and shallots. Sydney Oland