Recipe for portobello quesadillas Portobello quesadillas
|3||cups portobello and sausage ragu|
|⅓||cup chopped fresh cilantro|
|4||large (10-inch) flour tortillas|
|1½||cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese|
|¼||large red onion, thinly sliced|
|1||tablespoon vegetable oil|
|1||cup tomato salsa (for serving)|
1. Set the oven at 300 degrees. Have on hand a rimmed baking sheet.
2. In a bowl, combine the ragu and cilantro. Place a tortilla on a clean work surface and cover with about 1½ cups of ragu. Sprinkle with ¾ cup of cheese and ½ of the onion. Cover with another tortilla. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, ragu, cheese, and onion.
3. Heat a grill pan, griddle, or large skillet over medium heat. Brush it with ½ tablespoon of the oil.
4. Place a quesadilla in the pan and cook for 3 minutes (if using a grill pan, turn the tortilla slightly to get cross-hatch lines) or until the underside is golden. Use tongs to help slide it out of the pan and onto a large plate. Holding onto the quesadilla and the plate, invert the plate just over the pan and let the quesadilla drop onto the pan. Cook the other side for 2 minutes or until golden. Slide the quesadilla onto the baking sheet and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining ½ tablespoon oil and the second quesadilla.
5. Transfer the quesadillas to a cutting board. Cut into quarters or smaller wedges. Serve with salsa. Lisa Zwirn