A friend of mine asked me a few days ago why I started to run.
Why did I decide I wanted to run?
It occurred to me that many of you have asked me the same question, and I've never really answered it.
The short answer: Because I like doing things that I think are hard, and running is many things to me but "easy" isn't one of them.
The long answer? There are actually many long answers.
Here's my list:
- I started so that I could say I tried
- So that I could have some space and time just for myself
- So I could hear myself think
- So I could push myself
- So I could win battles against fatigue and stubbornness
- So I could make my muscles strong, while also making them ache
The thing I've found with running, is that it doesn't matter why I started. Just that I've kept going.