Can they fix their Formica cabinet top?

This is a summary. To read the whole story subscribe to

Q. We have a house in North Carolina. The kitchen has the original Formica cabinet top, which has developed raised edges where two pieces of Formica join. Presumably it is from moisture getting under the Formica, but we do not have any idea of how to remedy the situation, which is getting worse with use because now that it is open, it gets more moisture each time the Formica is wiped. Any solution? I tried putting Silicone into the “line” but that did not work.


A. The only thing that will help is replacement. You can have the bad pieces removed with heat, then replace them with a laminate of the same color and pattern. If you can’t find matching laminate, replace the entire counter covering or put on Corian. Find a laminate dealer who can do the work.

Full story for subscribers.

Get the full story with unlimited access to

Just 99 cents for four weeks.