Jennifer Mieth, spokeswoman for the state’s Department of Fire Services, recommends the following safety measures when using fire pits:
Place the fire pit at a good distance away from the house, other structures, and any utility lines.
Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the fire and supervise them near open flames.
Never use gasoline, kerosene, or any other flammable liquid to start a fire.
Use wood kindling and paper to start a fire and add progressively larger pieces of wood.
Have a hose or bucket of water nearby to put out the fire if necessary.
Use a spark screen or metal mesh cover if your fire pit comes with one.
Never leave the fire pit unattended or go off to bed until the fire is completely extinguished.
If the fire roars out of control, call the fire department immediately.
To find regulations on outside fires in your city or town, go to the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection site (www.mass.gov/dep/air/compliance/burning.htm).