A 27-year-old man was suffering from serious injuries after being pulled from beneath a Red Line train at Downtown Crossing Station on Tuesday, authorities said.
Joseph O’Connor, superintendent-in-chief of the MBTA Transit Police, said the man had been taken to Massachusetts General Hospital after the incident, which happened at 1:05 p.m.
MBTA spokesman, Joseph Pesaturo said the victim suffered very serious injuries.
Few details were available Tuesday night, and Pesaturo said it was unclear how the man ended up on the tracks.
The Boston Fire Department said shortly after 1:30 p.m. that it had extricated a person from under the train.
O’Connor said police are investigating, but no foul play was suspected. A witness on the station platform said the victim “just headed in front of the train.”
“I felt like I was seeing things. It happened so fast and I was just, ‘Did I really see that?’ ” said Lauren Miller, of Dorchester.
She said she saw several people crying on the platform after the incident.
Shortly after 1 p.m., the train stopped before the station and passengers were evacuated onto the Downtown Crossing platform and then out of the station.
MBTA workers told the passengers not to look down at the tracks.
At the same time, a distraught woman on the platform was screaming, “Oh my God!” Another woman tried to console her.
David Dahl and Martin Finucane of the Globe staff and Globe Correspondent Melanie Dostis contributed to this report.