Generator fire forces evacuation of DoubleTree hotel in Allston
Boston firefighters evacuated hundreds of guests from the DoubleTree hotel in Allston after a generator fire knocked out the building’s power.
The fire broke out in a generator room on the second floor, officials said. Electric panels and diesel fuel caught fire, and firefighters worked with building staff to cut the fuel supply.
The hotel was at capacity, and the 400 guests were being taken by MBTA buses to the Hyatt Hotel across the Charles River on Memorial Drive, officials said.
The fire cut power to smoke alarms and other safety systems, as well as the elevators. Firefighters went room by room and used master keys to make sure all guests got out safely, officials said.
No injuries were reported.
NStar workers arrived at 9 a.m., after firefighters waited an hour and a half, officials said.
Authorities are inspecting the generator room where the fire broke out.
The hotel’s electrical contractor and building engineer are on scene assessing damage and rerouting power to the hotel, officials said.Melissa Werthmann can be reached at email@example.com.
On the beat
Columnist Adrian Walker says UMass Dartmouth is shaken after revelations that one of the Marathon bomb suspects was a student there. Read more