Kitchen fire displaces residents of Dracut apartment building
A fire that started in the second-floor kitchen of a Dracut apartment building quickly escalated to a three-alarm fire this morning, the Dracut fire department said.
Neighboring fire departments helped Dracut firefighters battle the blaze, which extended to the attic of the three-story building on Merrill Lane. They were able to put out the flames by noon, but residents in a few units were displaced. No one was injured.
“Everybody evacuated, and all the departments were very good and aggressive at stopping the fire. They saved the building,” Dracut Fire Chief David Brouillette said.
The management company, Princeton Properties, is working to repair the affected units.
We’re hoping the residents can return early next week,” said Princeton Properties CEO Andrew M. Chaban. “Other units may take longer.”
Chaban said there are 18 units in the building and it was not immediately known how many were affected by the smoke and water damage.Sarah N. Mattero can be reached at email@example.com.