Milton fire that displaced five people caused by candle, fire officials say
A fire that ravaged a bedroom in a two-story single family home in Milton early this morning was started by a lit candle, said Milton Deputy Fire Chief Kevin Mahony.
No one was injured from the blaze, but five people living in the house were displaced because of the damage, along with their two dogs, according to American Red Cross spokeswoman Ashley Studley. The Red Cross gave the victims money for food, clothing, shoes and a hotel stay, Studley said.
Firefighters from the Quincy Fire Department first responded to the call at 435 Beale St., which sits just over the border in Milton, around 4:30 a.m. this morning, said Quincy Fire Lieutenant Daniel Coletti.
The flames were fairly easy to control, Coletti said, and the fire did not spread from the bedroom to anywhere else in the home.
“The bedroom’s a mess, but it was confined to the bedroom,” Coletti said.
The fire is under investigation by the Milton Fire Department.Jaclyn Reiss can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Jeff Fish can be reached at email@example.com.