Police and firefighters evacuated more than 500 people from an Eastern Bank office building in Lynn today after a fire that caused heavy black smoke within the building. No injuries were reported, police said.

Lieutenant Chris Kelly of the Lynn Police Department said that around 10:30 a.m. police received reports of a possible transformer explosion at the building, located at 195 Market St.

Fire Chief Tim Collier said a problem with one transformer caused multiple explosions in the electrical vault. The fire was contained to that area, causing negligible damage to the rest of the building, he said.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

There was some smoke damage, but Collier said essential personnel have already re-entered the building.

There were no fire- or smoke-related injuries, but a woman slipped while exiting the bank and requested an ambulance, Kelly said.

The building is the northern regional headquarters of the bank, according to the corporate website.