The Massachusetts Parole Board denied parole to a Beverly man who threatened witnesses and committed several violent crimes while released on bail or parole following his conviction for a 1987 “execution-style” murder, prosecutors said Tuesday.
In its decision last week, the board imposed the maximum five-year review period before Charles Doucette, 53, can apply for parole again. Prosecutors said Doucette had failed to take any responsibility for his crimes or engage in meaningful rehabilitation programs while in prison.
In 1987, Doucette was arrested for the murder of Raymond Bufalino, Essex District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett’s office said in a statement. After posting bail following the arrest, Doucette threatened to kill a witness in the case, the statement said.
After a district court jury initially convicted Doucette for the murder, a superior court judge vacated the conviction and Doucette was released. After successfully appealing the ruling before the Supreme Judicial Court, prosecutors re-arrested and tried Doucette again, the statement said.
Doucette again posted bail and while free, committed two violent home invasions in Peabody and Lynnfield, the statement said.
In 1991, he pleaded guilty to the second-degree murder of Bufalino, three counts of armed robbery, and other charges. He was sentenced to seven concurrent life sentences with the possibility of parole, the statement said.
After serving 15 years, Doucette was granted parole. But in 2011 he was arrested again, this time for assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and witness intimidation, the statement said.
Blodgett hailed the parole board’s recent decision to deny parole to Doucette, saying “this defendant clearly poses a threat to public safety. ... Mr. Doucette has engaged in threats and serious acts of violence which call into question his ability to function in society.”Todd Feathers can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter at @ToddFeathers.