A Boston Fire Department worker suffered an electric shock today when the fire alarm system cable he was working on came into contact with a 25,000-volt line that powered commuter rail trains, a department spokesman said.
The man was taken to Brigham and Women’s Hospital to be checked out. His injuries were not considered life-threatening, said spokesman Steve MacDonald. A second worker also suffered ringing in his ears from a loud boom that happened during the incident. Both men were later released from the hospital.
The incident happened at 11:22 a.m. near the Canterbury Street overpass over the tracks in Roslindale, near Hyde Park Avenue. The men were part of a crew running cables for the street fire box system, MacDonald said.
One of the men was in a bucket pulling wire and another draping the wire, MacDonald said, when the mishap occurred.
Both NStar and Amtrak workers headed to the scene, MacDonald said.