New judge in James ‘Whitey’ Bulger case says she wants trial to start June 10 as planned
Just 11 days after being named to preside over the trial of notorious gangster James “Whitey’’ Bulger, US District Court Judge Denise Casper said today she will not let her sudden arrival in the case push the long-awaited trial beyond its previously scheduled start date, June 10.
“I do intend to keep’’ that date, Casper said from the bench, where she was overseeing pre-trial wrangling between Bulger defense attorney J.W. Carney Jr. and prosecutors from US Attorney Carmen Ortiz’s office.
Casper, the federal district court judge in Massachusetts with the least seniority, was chosen randomly this month to take over the trial after the US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit ordered US District Court Judge Richard Stearns off the case because of a potential appearance of conflict of interest.
Carney had sought Stearns’s removal because, he said, he might call Stearns as a witness.
Casper is a former federal prosecutor, but she emphasized from the bench today that her work in law enforcement never intersected with the Bulger controversy.
“I have nothing to do with the prosecution of this case, a case that was reassigned to me 11 days ago. For the record,” Casper said.
Bulger himself was not in the courthouse in South Boston's Seaport district for today’s hearing, which lasted about 30 minutes.
Assistant US Attorney Brian Kelly said federal prosecutors expect to call 50 witnesses and that the trial will last through the summer. But Carney, who has said Bulger himself will take the stand in his own defense, predicted the trial will last into September.
Casper said she planned to empanel a total of 18 jurors, 12 deliberating jurors and six alternates. Technically, the start of the trial is June 6, when the process of selecting a jury is supposed to get underway; June 10 is when lawyers are expected to begin presenting evidence to jurors.
While saying she wanted to keep the trial date set by Stearns, Casper told defense attorney Henry Brennan that she was not ready to throw out a key ruling by Stearns that had the effect of cutting off Bulger’s claim he was immunized by federal law enforcement.
“It’s a very important issue,” Brennan said. “We disagree with Judge Stearns’s reasoning, his logic, and his basis for that ruling.’’
The judge told the lawyers that she had read Stearns’s ruling, but was not ready to resolve the issue today.
John R. Ellement of the Globe staff contributed to this report.On the beat

Columnist Adrian Walker says he thinks residents are suffering from a touch of campaign fatigue.Read more
|
|
Recent posts
- Revere man sentenced for beating a child
- Causeway in South Boston to close
- Three men shot to death in Boston in span of 13 hours, according to Boston police
- Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev died from gunshot wounds, blunt trauma, according to death certificate
- Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s body is in Worcester funeral home where services are being planned



Editor's Choice

'You will run again,' Obama tells shaken Boston

For Boston, a time to heal, a time to play hockey
- Amid capital splendor, Warren gets prefab perch
- Down with those paper tax forms
- Prepping for jobs in the casino economy
- Hospital charges bring a backlash

LOCAL BLOGS
Universal Hub
The Chinatown Blog
CommonWealth Magazine
Red Mass Group
Blue Mass Group
Boston 1775
The 1851 Chronicle
The Berkeley Beacon
The Daily Collegian
The Daily Free Press
The Harvard Crimson
The Heights
The Huntington News
The Suffolk Journal
The Tech
The Tufts Daily







