Blind resident rescued from burning home in Everett
First responders rescued a blind resident from a burning home in Everett early this morning, officials said.
At 6 a.m., the Everett Fire Department received a call for a fire at 187 Elm St., with a person trapped on the second floor, Fire Chief David Butler said. An Everett police dispatcher said the man was blind and missing a leg and had to be evacuated from the three-family residence because he could not leave on his own. He did not appear to be injured.
Before firefighters knocked down the two-alarm blaze, flames singed the exteriors of three surrounding buildings, Butler said, as well as three cars parked in the home’s driveway. Butler credited firefighters’ quick work with keeping the fire confined to one building.
One firefighter sustained a back injury and was taken to the hospital with injuries that were not considered life-threatening.
Firefighters knocked down the blaze, which was heavy in the building’s rear when crews first arrived, in just over an hour. The building is likely a total loss, Butler said. The fire does not appear to be suspicious.
According to city assessor records, the multi-family home was built in 1900 and had an asbestos exterior.Lauren Dezenski can be reached at email@example.com