In letter, injured MBTA officer Richard Donohue thanks community for support
Almost two weeks after MBTA Transit Police Officer Richard Donohue was injured during a shootout with the alleged Boston Marathon bombers, the recovering officer released a statement Wednesday thanking the police and first responders who saved his life and community members who have supported his family.
“I am now awake, moving around, talking, and telling jokes,” Donohue wrote in the statement, “much to my Wife’s dismay.”
Donohue had been shot in the groin early in the morning of April 19, as he chased Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev through the streets of Watertown. When he arrived at Mount Auburn Hospital, he had lost a significant amount of blood and barely had a pulse.
Donohue wrote that doctors will leave the bullet in his leg because it is not obstructing anything or causing pain.
“My pain varies day to day and I still have a long road of rehab and recovery ahead,” Donohue wrote, “but I am optimistic I’ll recover back to 100%.”
Donohue thanked first responders, fire department staff, and other police officers who he said put their lives on the line to help him when he was shot. He expressed condolences to the family of Sean Collier, the MIT police officer believed to have been killed by the alleged bombers. Donohue and Collier graduated together from the police academy.
“We are certain Sean was watching over me and assisted in saving my life,” Donohue said in the statement. “He could not save himself that night, but Sean could save me.”
Donohue said he does not have much memory of the night in Watertown, and is still working to piece together his own timeline of the shootout.
“When the full story of that evening is accounted for, it will be wilder than any movie you have ever seen,” Donohue wrote. “And it will contain more heroes.”
Martine Powers can be reached at mpowers@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter @martinepowers.On the beat

Columnist Adrian Walker says he thinks residents are suffering from a touch of campaign fatigue.Read more
|
|
Recent posts
- Three men shot to death in Boston in span of 13 hours, according to Boston police
- Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev died from gunshot wounds, blunt trauma, according to death certificate
- Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s body is in Worcester funeral home where services are being planned
- Governor Deval Patrick vows to do ‘everything humanly possible’ to make Fourth of July safe
- Cast of characters in Boston Marathon bombing case



Editor's Choice

'You will run again,' Obama tells shaken Boston

For Boston, a time to heal, a time to play hockey
- Amid capital splendor, Warren gets prefab perch
- Down with those paper tax forms
- Prepping for jobs in the casino economy
- Hospital charges bring a backlash

LOCAL BLOGS
Universal Hub
The Chinatown Blog
CommonWealth Magazine
Red Mass Group
Blue Mass Group
Boston 1775
The 1851 Chronicle
The Berkeley Beacon
The Daily Collegian
The Daily Free Press
The Harvard Crimson
The Heights
The Huntington News
The Suffolk Journal
The Tech
The Tufts Daily







