US authorities search several sites in Dartmouth as part of Boston Marathon bombing investigation
Federal authorities said they were searching various locations in Dartmouth today as part of the investigation into the Boston Marathon bombing.
The US attorney’s office said residents should be advised there is no threat to public safety.
The searches are being conducted by K9 units from Massachusetts State Police, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives along with numerous local departments, assisted by a State Police helicopter, law enforcement officials said.
Bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev attended school at UMass Dartmouth and officials have conducted searches on the campus and a landfill in New Bedford in connection with the probe.
Tsarnaev was captured hiding in a boat in Watertown on April 19 after he escaped from a shootout with police. His brother Tamerlan was fatally wounded in the gun battle.
The Globe reported today that the brothers first planned to attack Boston’s Fourth of July celebration before abruptly changing their target to the Boston Marathon, where the detonation of two bombs killed three and wounded 264 people. The brothers are also suspected of murdering MIT Police Officer Sean Collier.
In the landfill search last week, authorities found a backpack belonging to Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and other evidence, according to court documents.
State and federal officials said they could not comment on the focus of today’s searches.
Investigators are also looking for further clues in the probe of two UMass Dartmouth classmates of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev who, along with a Cambridge man, have been charged with trying to destroy or cover up evidence linking Tsarnaev the bombings. Tsarnaev’s friends are not implicated in the actual bombing plot.
According to authorities, one of the friends, Dias Kadyrbayev, told them he took a laptop and a backpack from Tsarnaev’s dorm room after seeing Tsarnaev in photos released by the FBI on April 18 during a desperate search for the bombing suspects.
Kadyrbayev helped discard the backpack, which held an array of fireworks, in a dumpster outside the New Bedford apartment where he lived, authorities said.
Kadyrbayev’s attorney, Robert G. Stahl, has said his client did not know the backpack was connected to the Marathon bombings. Stahl also told the Globe that his client has handed over the laptop computer to the FBI.
The attorneys for the other two men have insisted their clients have not committed any crimes.
Brian MacQuarrie can be reached at macquarrie@ globe.com.On the beat

Columnist Adrian Walker says he thinks residents are suffering from a touch of campaign fatigue.Read more
|
|
Recent posts
- Three men shot to death in Boston in span of 13 hours, according to Boston police
- Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev died from gunshot wounds, blunt trauma, according to death certificate
- Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s body is in Worcester funeral home where services are being planned
- Governor Deval Patrick vows to do ‘everything humanly possible’ to make Fourth of July safe
- Cast of characters in Boston Marathon bombing case



Editor's Choice

'You will run again,' Obama tells shaken Boston

For Boston, a time to heal, a time to play hockey
- Amid capital splendor, Warren gets prefab perch
- Down with those paper tax forms
- Prepping for jobs in the casino economy
- Hospital charges bring a backlash

LOCAL BLOGS
Universal Hub
The Chinatown Blog
CommonWealth Magazine
Red Mass Group
Blue Mass Group
Boston 1775
The 1851 Chronicle
The Berkeley Beacon
The Daily Collegian
The Daily Free Press
The Harvard Crimson
The Heights
The Huntington News
The Suffolk Journal
The Tech
The Tufts Daily







