One month after, Marathon bombings are remembered
Bill Greene/Globe Staff
Christine Monterio, pastoral minister of liturgical dance at the Paulist Center, was one of the dancers. She said dancers wanted to offer a blessing at the spot.
On the one-month anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombings, the scene for much of today at the site of the first explosion could have passed as a Boylston Street tableau on any typical weekday.
Business people and tourists, students and residents, strolled or hurried past the place where a shrapnel-filled pressure cooker created carnage only steps from the finish line. Few stopped at the spot, and few hints of its significance could be found there.
Then, at 2:50 p.m., the time when two homemade bombs detonated here April 15, a remembrance graced the sidewalk. Three dancers from the Paulist Center, a Catholic organization on Park Street, used the emotive language of movement to acknowledge the area’s lingering grief while also reclaiming the space.
“We wanted to offer a blessing at the spot,” said Christine Monterio, director of dance at the Paulist Center. “It’s a very natural response for all of us.”
Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino had spoken earlier in the day about the city’s resilience in the wake of the attacks.“I think the city went in strong, came out strong,” Menino said before an appearance in the Fenway Fens. “I think the city has reacted in the proper manner over the past month or so. I had dinner the other night for 130 of the survivors and it gave me strength to be with those families and individuals.”
The two powerful explosions killed three people and wounded more than 260 others. One suspect is dead after a confrontation with police several days after the attacks; another is in custody, facing federal charges. The suspects are also accused of slaying an MIT police officer.
Boston police wore a black band on their badges for a month in memory of the bombings. It’s traditional for them to wear such bands for a fallen fellow officer and take them off after a month. They removed the black bands today at 2:50 p.m. The department’s flags were also raised from half-staff at that moment.
The Boston Athletic Association, which organizes the Marathon, said on its website, “Our hearts and prayers go out to the victims affected, especially the four families who lost loved ones, as well as those who remain in the hospital or who are in rehabilitation.”
“We would like to thank all of the first responders, medical staffers, volunteers, and local, state, and federal authorities for handling a very difficult situation so bravely,” the statement said.
On the beat

Columnist Kevin Cullen says Bobby Long and Tom Foley did more than the entire FBI to bring Whitey Bulger to justice. Read more
|
|
Recent posts
- Severe thunderstorms possible again today in Mass.
- Aaron Hernandez case clue sought: Broken car mirror from Nissan Altima linked to slaying of Odin L. Lloyd
- Tornado touches down in Connecticut; downpours and flooding sweep Massachusetts
- Mass. House, Senate near final approval on $34b spending plan for new fiscal year
- Ernest Wallace returning to Massachusetts to face accessory charge in ex-Patriots Aaron Hernandez murder case

Editor's Choice

Colleges grapple with merit-based aid

City takes first steps on cab abuses
- Harvard dean quits post amid acrimony over e-mail searches
- Last dance at Wonderland
- Trauma survivor now acting as beacon of inspiration
- Audit: More than 1,000 dead people on welfare rolls

LOCAL BLOGS
Universal Hub
The Chinatown Blog
CommonWealth Magazine
Red Mass Group
Blue Mass Group
Boston 1775
The 1851 Chronicle
The Berkeley Beacon
The Daily Collegian
The Daily Free Press
The Harvard Crimson
The Heights
The Huntington News
The Suffolk Journal
The Tech
The Tufts Daily







