Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino says he’ll be back just a few days after prostate surgery

Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino said today that his decision to have surgery for an enlarged prostate came after months of medication failed to alleviate the symptoms.

Menino, 70, is scheduled to undergo a procedure Friday morning at Brigham and Women’s Hospital that will shrink his prostate and allow him to more easily empty his bladder. Menino’s staff announced earlier this week that the mayor would be having the surgery. Menino this afternoon spoke publicly for the first time about the issue.

“I think it’s the best thing for my health,” Menino told reporters outside a luncheon for Boston Public Schools valedictorians. “Seven out of 10 men my age have prostate problems.”

Advertisement—Continue Reading Below

Dr. Charles Morris, the mayor’s primary care physician, told the Globe Monday that Menino did not have cancer. Morris said the surgery was not unusual for a man the mayor’s age and was not an indication of a more serious underlying condition.

Menino said he expects to spend three or four days in the hospital. He will continue his convalescence at Parkman House, a city-owned mansion where Menino has lived for much of the last five months because he has trouble with stairs in his home. Parkman House has an elevator.

The five-term mayor has endured a rash of medical problems in recent years and remains on crutches because he broke a leg bone in his ankle. He spent eight week hospitalized at the end of 2012 for a variety of aliments, which included a fractured vertebrae and the diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes.

Menino today rejected the suggestion that his health might force him to leave office before his term ends in early January 2014.

“I’ve never considered that at all,” Menino said. Prostate surgery “will set me down for three or four days and then I’ll be back. While I’m in the hospital, my team is working.”

Share