Head of Boston FBI, familiar face during Marathon bomb probe, to retire
Spencer Platt/Getty Images
Richard DesLauriers, the head of the Boston FBI office, spoke at the news conference April 18, where authorities released security camera images of the two Boston Marathon bombing suspects.
Richard DesLauriers, the head of the Boston FBI office who became a familiar face during the Boston Marathon bombing investigation, is retiring next month, the FBI said today in a statement.
DesLauriers, a native of Longmeadow, served more than 26 years with the agency, taking the helm in Boston in July 2010.
In addition to the Marathon bombings probe, he has overseen a number of other significant investigations, the agency said, including the arrest of notorious gangster James “Whitey” Bulger, the arrests of Russian “sleeper agents,” the arrest and conviction of two local homegrown terrorists, and the conviction of former Massachusetts House speaker Salvatore DiMasi. He also oversaw the investigation into the Gardner Museum art theft.
DesLauriers said it had been an honor and a privilege to lead the Boston office.
“I thank the very hard-working women and men of the FBI for their dedicated public service to our great nation, and I thank our many law enforcement and United States Attorney’s Office partners for their enduring friendship and countless contributions to enhancing public safety and security across Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, and Maine,” he said.
DesLauriers, with his trademark calm, “bookish” personality, and penchant for precision, set the tone for the 100-hour-long investigation that began with the April 15 bombings and ended with one suspect dead and a second suspect in custody on April 19, the Globe reported in April.
“I like to win and I hate to lose, and I try to bring that competitiveness to the workplace and apply it to my mission within the FBI, whatever that mission might be at any given time,’’ DesLauriers told the Globe.
A graduate of Assumption College, DesLauriers began FBI duty in January 1987. He previously served in the Birmingham, New York, and Washington, D.C., offices. In Washington, his assignments included a stint as deputy assistant director of counterintelligence.
DesLauriers has accepted a job as vice president of corporate security with the Penske Corp. in Bloomfield Hills, Mich., the statement said. His retirement is effective July 13, 2013.
On the beat

Columnist Kevin Cullen says Bobby Long and Tom Foley did more than the entire FBI to bring Whitey Bulger to justice. Read more
|
|
Recent posts
- Severe thunderstorms possible again today in Mass.
- Aaron Hernandez case clue sought: Broken car mirror from Nissan Altima linked to slaying of Odin L. Lloyd
- Tornado touches down in Connecticut; downpours and flooding sweep Massachusetts
- Mass. House, Senate near final approval on $34b spending plan for new fiscal year
- Ernest Wallace returning to Massachusetts to face accessory charge in ex-Patriots Aaron Hernandez murder case

Editor's Choice

Colleges grapple with merit-based aid

City takes first steps on cab abuses
- Harvard dean quits post amid acrimony over e-mail searches
- Last dance at Wonderland
- Trauma survivor now acting as beacon of inspiration
- Audit: More than 1,000 dead people on welfare rolls

LOCAL BLOGS
Universal Hub
The Chinatown Blog
CommonWealth Magazine
Red Mass Group
Blue Mass Group
Boston 1775
The 1851 Chronicle
The Berkeley Beacon
The Daily Collegian
The Daily Free Press
The Harvard Crimson
The Heights
The Huntington News
The Suffolk Journal
The Tech
The Tufts Daily







