James ‘Whitey’ Bulger’s bid for trial delay is rejected

E-mail this article

Invalid email address
Invalid email address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

06/11/2013 4:35 PM

File photo


A mug shot of James “Whitey” Bulger taken in 2011 after his arrest in Santa Monica, Calif.

  • E-mail
  • E-mail this article

    Invalid E-mail address
    Invalid E-mail address

    Sending your article

    Your article has been sent.

A federal judge has decided against delaying opening statements in the trial of notorious gangster James “Whitey” Bulger, turning aside defense attorneys’ request for more time to probe allegations that the government has ignored recent crimes by a hitman-turned-prosecution witness.

US District Judge Denise J. Casper issued a ruling this afternoon after a hearing that had erupted into shouting by prosecutors and the defense. Opening statements are now slated to be delivered in the case on Wednesday morning.

Bulger is facing trial in US District Court in Boston for allegedly rampaging through the city’s underworld for decades, playing a role in 19 murders in the 1970s and 1980s.

Earlier today, jurors were sworn in by Casper, who told them, “Do not make up your mind of what the verdict will be. ... Keep an open mind.” The jurors were released and told to report back at 9 a.m. Wednesday.

A total of 18 people were selected: eight men and four women as the jury itself and three men and three women to serve as alternates. The group was generally middle-aged.

In a hearing after the jury selection was finalized, defense attorney J.W. Carney Jr. accused the government of “a coverup” for failing to turn over documents that allege that the State Police protected John Martorano, who is expected to be a key government witness, from being investigated for ongoing crimes.

Assistant US Attorney Fred Wyshak said, “Mr. Carney continues to impugn the integrity of the prosecution team.” And Wyshak said he took “great umbrage to it.” He also accused Carney of being “unlawyerly” and “unprofessional.”

“I hope this conduct doesn’t continue,” Wyshak said.

“It will continue,” the feisty Carney boomed.

Casper ordered them both to calm down, saying, “Seriously?”

After a brief sidebar conference with the lawyers, Casper said, “I think we’ve all taken a deep breath and are ready to proceed in this matter.”

The search for a fair and impartial jury began last week with hundreds of potential jurors called to the courthouse. The pool had been winnowed to 70 by this morning. Federal prosecutors told the judge that they had performed criminal background checks on the 70 and found that 13 had some type of record. One juror, a check found, had four felony convictions.

Forty people were brought into the courtroom, where prosecutors and defense were allowed to eliminate a total of 22 who were not to their liking.

Dozens of potential jurors were questioned Monday about whether they are fit to decide the case against Bulger, telling a variety of stories that opened a window into their lives, the Globe reports this morning.

For updates on the trial, check out the boston.com liveblog or follow @MiltonValenciaand @shelleymurph on Twitter.

  • E-mail
  • E-mail this article

    Invalid E-mail address
    Invalid E-mail address

    Sending your article

    Your article has been sent.

On the beat

Columnist Kevin Cullen says Bobby Long and Tom Foley did more than the entire FBI to bring Whitey Bulger to justice. Read more
Kevin Cullen

Editor's Choice

Colleges grapple with merit-based aid

Colleges grapple with merit-based aid

Are colleges using too much money for merit scholarships, leaving too little for students who need financial help?
City takes first steps on cab abuses

City takes first steps on cab abuses

Boston has begun to crack down on continued exploitation of cabbies.
MORE
archives

LOCAL BLOGS

BOSTON AREA

Universal Hub

A collection of writing from hundreds of Boston-area bloggers.

The Chinatown Blog

Stories and events related to Boston's Chinatown and the Asian American community in Massachusetts

CommonWealth Magazine

Politics, ideas, and civic life in Massachusetts

Red Mass Group

News and commentary about Massachusetts and beyond

Blue Mass Group

Politics in Massachusetts and around the nation

Boston 1775

History, analysis, and unabashed gossip about the start of the American Revolution.
COLLEGE NEWSPAPER SITES

The 1851 Chronicle

The official student-run newspaper of Lasell College

The Berkeley Beacon

The weekly student newspaper at Emerson College

The Daily Collegian

The student newspaper of UMass-Amherst.

The Daily Free Press

The independent student newspaper at Boston University

The Harvard Crimson

The nation's oldest continuously published daily college newspaper.

The Heights

The independent student newspaper of Boston College

The Huntington News

The independent student newspaper of Northeastern University

The Suffolk Journal

Suffolk University's student-run newspaper

The Tech

MIT's oldest and largest newspaper

The Tufts Daily

The independent student newspaper of Tufts University