A three-alarm fire in a Lawrence apartment building displaced 16 people today after an overloaded power strip on the third floor ignited, according to fire officials.
The fire was reported at around 2 a.m. at 196 Bruce St., a three-story, wood-frame building housing three families. All three were displaced by the fire. One firefighter suffered a minor injury to his arm, said Lawrence Fire Chief Jack Bergeron.
“The building is salvageable,” Bergeron said. “There was no real structural damage; the third floor received the brunt of the damage.”
Around 26 Lawrence firefighters responded to the scene. Fire departments from neighboring towns, including Methuen, Lowell, Salem and Andover, sent crews to help fight the blaze, according to officials.
The fire took about an hour to put out, Bergeron said.Jasper can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @Jasper_Craven