A gas leak at the corner of Main and Albany streets in Cambridge’s Kendall Square area caused the evacuation of two MIT buildings today, officials said.
The call came in to Cambridge firefighters from an MIT building at 9:03 a.m. The gas line reportedly broke due to construction, said Cambridge Fire Assistant Fire Chief Gerard Mahoney.
NStar responded to the scene along with firefighters, Mahoney said.
MIT Buildings 46 and 48 were evacuated at about 10 a.m. About 15 minutes later they were re-occupied and the area was deemed safe for travel, according to the university’s emergency notification website.
No injuries were reported, Mahoney said.
The scene was cleared and the line was repaired by 10:23 a.m., Mahoney said.Melissa can be reached at email@example.com