Gas leak forces evacuation of Chestnut Hill Mall, several other buildings
The Chestnut Hill Mall and several other buildings on Route 9 in Newton were evacuated this morning when a gas line was ripped open by a construction crew, local fire officials said.
Buildings between 1 and 27 Boylston St. were evacuated at 9:35 a.m. when a National Grid gas main was ripped open by a contractor, said Newton Fire Chief Bruce Proia.
Once the buildings were cleared of occupants, firefighters and National Grid ventilated the buildings, Proia said.
There was no explosion and no one was injured, said Proia.
People were allowed back inside at around 10:45 a.m. National Grid and firefighters are at the scene. The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration is also expected to respond to the scene, Proia said.Melissa can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @Melissa__Hanson