6 displaced in Hanson after spontaneous combustion sparks house fire

Firefighters battled the house fire on Pleasant Street in Hanson.
Firefighters battled the house fire on Pleasant Street in Hanson.Credit: Hanson Fire Department

The spontaneous combustion of sawdust on the rear deck of a single-family home in Hanson caused an extensive fire that displaced six people, officials said.

Firefighters were called to Pleasant Street at 2:24 a.m. today for a structure fire, according to a statement from the Hanson Fire Department. The fire ravaged the rear of the house, causing damage extending from the rear deck into the attic, firefighters said. The interior of the house also suffered smoke and water damage. The total damage was estimated at $100,000.

Three adults and three children were inside the home at the time of the fire, but were safely evacuated. No injuries were reported.

Advertisement—Continue Reading Below

The family will be displaced from their house for some time, said Hanson Fire Chief Jerome Thompson.

Firefighters believe a cardboard box filled with saw dust, which was stored on the rear deck of the house, sparked the blaze.