Dunkin’ robbed in Wilmington, Saugus

A Dunkin’ Donuts shop in Wilmington was robbed Monday afternoon, but police said they do not believe the incident is connected to the robberies of 22 other Dunkin’ shops that have taken place since March.

According to Wilmington police, officers were called to 66 Concord St. at about 4:55 p.m. to investigate reports that the restaurant had been robbed. Investigators said the suspect in Monday’s robbery is a white, heavyset man in his 50s with gray hair, who entered the shop through the front door before making off with an undisclosed amount of money.

No injuries were reported in the robbery, and the suspect was unarmed, said Wilmington Police Lieutenant Brian Pupa.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

At least two dozen Dunkin’ shops through the state have been robbed since March, and in 22 of those incidents, the suspect description and the way the crime was committed share many similarities. Police have only officially connected five of the 22 robberies, but police from all of the robbed communities share information and coordinate frequently.

In the previous 22 stickups, the suspect has brandished a gun or a knife, and has been described as a white man between 19 and 30 years of age.

Also the robbery of a Dunkin’ shop in Saugus last Thursday was described as an “isolated incident” by the Saugus police chief. The Wilmington robbery was deemed unconnected as well, police said. 

“From the previous robberies, we don’t believe this is related,” Pupa said. “I don’t think it was a copycat, I think it was just somebody looking to commit a robbery.”

However, police are investigating whether the Wilmington donut store suspect is the same person who robbed a gas station in Winchester on Saturday, Pupa said.

Dunkin’ Donuts are offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of a suspect in the string of robberies.