Blackout follows Dorchester manhole fire
A manhole fire in Dorchester caused thousands of residents and businesses to lose power Sunday night, authorities said.
The blackout and fire, which a police spokeswoman said was in the area of 1152 Dorchester Ave., was caused by a faulty cable in the manhole, said Joanne O’Leary, an NSTAR spokeswoman.
Over 4,600 customers were affected about 8:30 p.m. when the outage began, O’Leary said. Most of them had their power restored within an hour, but 1, 676 customers remained in the dark about 9:15 p.m., she said.
The fire did cause the manhole cover to fly out of the ground, but no one was injured in the incident, O’Leary said.Nicholas Jacques can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.