Sometimes we over-complicate things. It’s kind of human nature, right? Every now and then a simple, terse reality check from someone who’s “been there, done that” is just what we need. So, when a Dean College staff member (who happens to be a parent of a college student) offered up 25 simple tips for women and men in college, which she shared with her daughter as she went off to college, we jumped at the opportunity to share them on the blog. Take 5 minutes and read through these simple, but helpful tips:
1. You’re young; you don’t need tons of makeup.
2. Listen to your intuition.
3. If you wonder whether your skirt is too short, it is.
4. Get enough sleep.
5. Use hand sanitizer.
6. You will probably regret a tattoo at some point in your life.
7. You will never have so much at your fingertips as you do at college so TAKE ADVANTAGE.
8. Always lock your door.
9. Don’t walk alone at night.
10. Exercise regularly.
11. Make your bed. That is why you have a cute comforter.
13. Drink water.
14. Take vitamins.
15. Never pose with an adult beverage in your hand.
16. Ask questions.
17. Keep an open mind.
18. Don’t go tanning –it’s bad for you!
19. Enjoy solitude once in awhile.
20. Put down your cell phone periodically.
22. Be curious.
23. Don’t whine.
24. Look at yourself in the mirror and smile.
25. Realize advice from family members is given with good intentions.
1. Conversation is important. Practice.
2. Make eye contact.
3. Mental toughness is more important than physical toughness.
4. Be resilient.
5. Problem solve.
6. You will never have so much at your fingertips as you do at college so TAKE ADVANTAGE.
7. If you wonder if something is clean enough to wear, it probably isn’t.
8. Shower daily.
9. You don’t have to wait to be successful—start now.
10. Keep an open mind.
11. Enjoy solitude once in awhile.
12. Wet towels don’t dry unless you hang them up.
13. Put down your cell phone periodically.
14. Don’t show your underwear in public. Nobody wants to see it.
15. Speak up and speak clearly.
16. Surround yourself with people who want you to succeed.
17. Schedule a laundry day for yourself.
18. Realize advice from family members is given with good intentions.
19. It feels good to help someone.
20. Don’t be embarrassed by what you don’t know; just ask.
21. Be thankful.
22. Dream big.
23. Get involved—now is the time.
24. If something doesn’t work out as you hoped, get over it and move on.
25. Set goals.
Do you have advice for college women and men? Leave it in the comments below.