Investigators have turned their attention to the passengers and pilots of Malaysia Airlines flight 370 after concluding that the plane, which has been missing for more than a week, had been flown off-course deliberately, according to the Associated Press.
Police on Saturday went to the Kuala Lumpur homes of both the pilot and co-pilot of the missing plane, according to a guard and several local reporters. Authorities have said they will investigate the pilots as part of their probe, but have released no information about how they are progressing.
CNN reported that police had left the co-pilot’s home with potential information:
CNN JUST IN: police just left the co-pilot's home carrying small bags. #MH370— Vaughn Sterling (@vplus) March 15, 2014
The missing Malaysian jetliner was deliberately diverted and continued flying for more than six hours after losing contact with the ground, meaning it could have gone as far northwest as Kazakhstan or into the Indian Ocean’s southern reaches, Malaysia’s leader said Saturday.
Prime Minister Najib Razak’s confirmed days of mounting speculation that the disappearance of the Boeing 777 flying to Beijing was not accidental. He said the investigation had refocused on the flight’s crew and passengers and underlined the massive task for searchers who already have been scouring vast areas of ocean.
These movements are consistent with deliberate action by someone on the plane, Najib said.
The plane was carrying 239 people when it departed for an overnight flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing at 12:40 a.m. on March 8. Its communications with civilian air controllers were severed at about 1:20 a.m., and the jet went missing — heralding one of the most puzzling mysteries in modern aviation history.