MONROE, Conn. (AP) — The former middle school in Monroe should be ready ‘‘in a matter of days’’ to house the students from Sandy Hook Elementary School in nearby Newtown, the site of Friday’s deadly shootings, the Monroe fire marshal said Monday.
William Davin said that he toured the former Chalk Hill School with state and local fire and building officials and that contractors are in the process making necessary repairs. The facility could be ready as early as Tuesday, though officials stressed no date has been set.
Chalk Hall was a middle school that has been empty since June 2011, when town schools were consolidated. The desks that had been there are too big for the Sandy Hook kids, who are in kindergarten through fourth grade.
The Sandy Hook students’ desks are being taken to Chalk Hill, and tradesmen are donating their services to ensure the building is ready, said Lt. Brian McCauley of the Monroe Police Department.
On Monday, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy signed an executive order to help clear the way for the Newtown school board to use the Monroe school. The order will take effect immediately.
Typically, state law requires a lengthy procedural process, including a public hearing and posting notices, before a municipality can sell, lease or transfer real property. Malloy said the order makes sense because this is an obvious emergency situation.
‘‘We are working to try to bring back some normalcy,’’ McCauley said. ‘‘These are innocent children that need to be put on the right path again.’’
A number of officers will be at the school when it opens — there is no official date yet — and police will be checking IDs, answering questions and trying to instill a feeling of confidence, McCauley said.
Associated Press Writer Susan Haigh in Hartford contributed to this report.