- –
- +
RI secures student records from closed school
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — Rhode Island higher education officials say they have secured student records from an abruptly shuttered career training school and hope to begin distribution to students this week.
A spokesman for the Office of Higher Education says officials accessed records at the Sawyer School beginning Friday. Mike Trainor says state police and a U.S. Department of Education official were also on hand.
The school was scheduled to resume classes last week but students were told with two days’ notice it had closed. About 300 students in Rhode Island and 1,200 in Connecticut have been displaced and are waiting for records.
State police plan to examine the records to determine whether to open a criminal investigation.
The school has lost its accreditation. An executive at the school’s parent company has declined comment.![]()



