DURHAM, N.H. (AP) — The University of New Hampshire says three students suffered burns while evacuating a dorm that was damaged by hot water from a broken pipe.
Spokeswoman Erika Mantz says Hunter Hall was evacuated at 2:30 p.m. Saturday after the burst pipe outside the building, flooding part of the first floor.
She says three female students suffered what are believed to be third-degree burns on their feet while exiting the dorm. They were taken to local hospitals before being transferred to Boston hospitals.
UNH President Mark Huddleston said the university ‘‘will provide whatever assistance we can to help them through this difficult time.’’
Hunter Hall is home to about 115 students. The broken pipe will be repaired Sunday; until then, temporary heating will be provided at Hunter and two other dorms.