PROVIDENCE - Three more companies agreed yesterday to tentative settlements totaling $1.3 million for lawsuits brought after the 2003 Station nightclub fire, which killed 100 people.
Tentative agreements from two bus companies and a speaker company were filed in US District Court. None of the companies admit wrongdoing.
The Feb. 20, 2003, fire at the club in West Warwick was started when a pyrotechnics display for the band Great White ignited flammable foam that lined the walls of the club. More than 200 people were injured.
Since then, hundreds of survivors and family members of those killed have sued dozens of companies. A handful - including
JBL Inc., which made the speakers used by Great White the night of the fire, said yesterday that it will pay $815,000 to get out of the case.
The lawsuit accused JBL of making speakers that had flammable foam inside, although JBL has said in court papers that nothing in its speakers would have accelerated the fire any more than any other building material.
ABC Bus Leasing Inc., and Superstar Services, which leased the buses that brought the band members and the fireworks to the club, said they will pay a combined $500,000.
The lawsuits said that the companies should be held accountable because they transported fireworks without a permit.