THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING
New England in brief

2 resign in school contraceptives fight

Email|Print|Single Page| Text size +
May 27, 2008

GLOUCESTER
Two top officials at Gloucester High School's health center have resigned in a fight over distribution of contraceptives. Medical Director Dr. Brian Orr and chief nurse practitioner Kim Daly support confidentially giving birth control to students, but they departed after encountering resistance to the practice from Addison Gilbert Hospital, which administers state public health grants that pay for the high school clinic. This year, 17 Gloucester High School students are pregnant. Normally, the school has about four pregnancies per school year, The Associated Press reported. The hospital's executive director, Cindy Donaldson, expressed concern about community reaction to confidential contraceptive distribution, as well as liability issues. (AP)

WORCESTER
Man suffers fatal gunshot wound at party
A 21-year-old New Hampshire man was shot to death early Sunday, police said yesterday, the second homicide in the city this year. Adrian Ortiz, 21, of Pelham, was shot in the chest outside an after-hours party on Ethan Allen Street about 3:15 a.m., according to a statement released by police Sergeant Kerry Hazelhurst. Police arrived at the scene to see two vehicles speeding away and followed them to St. Vincent Hospital, where Ortiz was pronounced dead shortly after arriving. Witnesses told police the shooting followed an argument about a woman earlier in the night between two men, one of them a friend of Ortiz's. The two men met again at the after-hours party and one of them brandished a gun. When Ortiz and his friends were leaving the party, a man came out of the building and fired several shots, hitting Ortiz, police said. No one else was injured.

REVERE
Teen faces murder charge in fatal stabbing
Authorities said yesterday that 18-year-old Richard Southern is expected to face a murder charge today when he is arraigned in Chelsea District Court for the fatal stabbing of Storm Mandeville in Revere. Mandeville, 61, was killed in his first-floor apartment in a two-family house on Bryan Street. District Attorney Daniel F. Conley's office said Southern and Mandeville, who knew each another, started fighting inside Mandeville's home on the night of May 22 or the early morning of May 23 and Mandeville sustained multiple stab wounds. His body was found Saturday.

LAWRENCE
Early-morning blaze destroys home
A three-alarm fire destroyed a two-family house on Saunders Street early this morning in Lawrence, officials said. The blaze started about 1:15 a.m. and took three hours to extinguish, said Deputy Chief James Moffatt. The two residents of the house got out before firefighters arrived; one was taken to the hospital with minor injuries. Fire officials were investigating the cause of the fire yesterday.

PROVIDENCE
Burial set for Civil War veteran's remains
A long forgotten Civil War soldier from Rhode Island will get an overdue memorial this week. The remains of Michael McElroy were discovered after bones washed free near Route 37 in Cranston two years ago. Officials later discovered Route 37 had been built over a potter's field, where the poor were buried. Some of the remains were exhumed, including McElroy's, who was identified by a state veteran's group. McElroy will be reburied with full military honors on Saturday in Providence. (AP)

NEW HAVEN
Food scraps to be transformed into soil
Composting projects at several Connecticut universities are helping turn cafeteria leftovers into environmentally friendly soil for farms and campus gardens. This summer, Yale University will deliver its waste to a Litchfield County composting plant to be transformed into potting soil. Officials at the New Haven university estimate about 2 tons of cafeteria food is discarded each day. Composting has also taken hold at Wesleyan University and Connecticut College. (AP)

PORTLAND, MAINE
Officials promote stay-at-home vacations
Maine tourism officials hope to make up for any potential decline in visitors caused by high gas prices by encouraging Maine residents to stay in the state and enjoy a "staycation." The Maine Office of Tourism will launch a six-week campaign in late June "to encourage Mainers to look in their own backyards," said Pat Eltman, the state's tourism director. The plan includes television and radio ads and newspaper inserts. (AP)

more stories like this

  • Email
  • Email
  • Print
  • Print
  • Single page
  • Single page
  • Reprints
  • Reprints
  • Share
  • Share
  • Comment
  • Comment
 
  • Share on DiggShare on Digg
  • Tag with Del.icio.us Save this article
  • powered by Del.icio.us
Your Name Your e-mail address (for return address purposes) E-mail address of recipients (separate multiple addresses with commas) Name and both e-mail fields are required.
Message (optional)
Disclaimer: Boston.com does not share this information or keep it permanently, as it is for the sole purpose of sending this one time e-mail.