Saturday, 2:15 PM
Faulty wiring seen as cause in $1.5 million Natick fire
(Yoon S. Byun/Globe Staff)
Spectators viewed the ruins of the building today.
By John R. Ellement, Globe Staff
Five Natick businesses were destroyed early today in a four-alarm fire that the state fire marshal said was caused by faulty electrical wiring.
The fire on Pond Street was discovered by a Natick police officer around 1:13 a.m. and was under control around 5 a.m. No injuries were reported, but the blaze caused an estimated $1.5 million in damage.
State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan said investigators determined that the origin of the fire was overheated electric wiring between the basement ceiling and the floor of a laundry. “The only heat source in the area of origin was electricity,’’ Coan said in a statement.
The businesses affected included the laundry, a convenience store, and a cobbler’s shop.
“While it is tragic to lose five businesses in these economic times, we are fortunate that no one was injured,’’ Natick Fire Chief James A. Sheridan said in a statement.
Garry Patel said he had operated the convenience store at the Pond Street location for the past five years.
“The building is completely gone,’’ he said, adding he does not know whether he will reopen at the site.
This blogger might want to review your comment before posting it.