Saturday, 2:15 PM
Man charged in NYC attack on Chelsea talk show host
By Jonathan Saltzman, Globe staff
New York City police today arrested a 20-year-old man in connection with last week's vicious attack of a Boston-area talk show host who was bludgeoned with a baseball bat during a robbery.
Gavin Scott, 20, of 762 East 211th St., turned himself in at a police precinct in the Bronx this morning, said Detective Martin Speechley. He is to be arraigned on charges of attempted murder, robbery, assault, and criminal possession of a weapon.
Police declined to say whether Scott was the assailant captured on a harrowing surveillance video striking Pelagio de la Cruz eight times with a baseball bat during an attack shortly after 3:30 a.m. on Sept. 14.
Two men snuck up on de la Cruz in front of a building in the University Heights section of the Bronx when the talk-show host returned after an evening out. After the attack, the other man rifled through De la Cruz's pockets as the victim lay on the ground and stole his wallet and cellphone, police said.
De la Cruz, 52, of Lynn, who hosted a Spanish-language call-in show called ``Conexion Hispana'' on WESX 1230 AM in Chelsea, remains in critical condition at St. Barnabas Hospital, police said.
Manny Carrasco, a friend and the host of the Spanish-language program ``Empujando la Manana'' on WRCA 1330 AM, was pleased to hear about the arrest.
``Good,'' he said. ``If they got one, they'll get them both. That one's going to talk.''
De la Cruz was in New York visiting his children, who live in the city with their mother, his estranged wife, police said. Police released the surveillance video in hopes of finding the assailants.
De la Cruz is from the Dominican Republic and worked in television there before coming to the United States 10 years ago, said the co-host of his show, Carlos Soriano. He moved to Massachusetts from New York less than a year ago to work on the radio show.
This blogger might want to review your comment before posting it.