Saturday, 2:15 PM
1 injured in electrical mishap in Downtown Crossing
By Globe Staff
A spark in a battery room released a cloud of smoke this morning at Macy's in Downtown Crossing, injuring one person, a fire official said.
Firefighters responded with a hazardous materials team to what was originally described as a battery explosion on the fourth floor, according to Steve MacDonald, a spokesman for the Boston Fire Department. Officials vented fourth, fifth, and sixth floors to release the smoke created by the spark. The situation was under control within 90 minutes.
One person took himself to Massachusetts General Hospital. Macy's was not open at the time.