A man turned himself in today to face two counts of first-degree murder in a shooting outside a popular Uphams Corner restaurant that left two men dead, including a chef cut down in a hail of bullets.
Emmanuel DePina, 26, turned himself in today after he learned from friends and family that a warrant had been issued for his arrest, police said in a press release. The Boston resident is scheduled to be arraigned today in Dorchester Municipal Court on charges that also include and illegal possession of a firearm.
The barrage of gunfire erupted outside Ka'-Carlos restaurant at 33 Hancock Street shortly after 1 a.m. on Aug. 2. The bullets struck and killed the chef, Manuel Monteiro, 47, and Jovany "JoJo" Eason, 20, a lifeguard from Dorchester.
Monteiro, the father of two adult daughters and five stepchildren, had emigrated from Cape Verde and worked two jobs to support his family. In addition to cooking at Ka’-Carlos, he also worked as a chef at the Boston Harbor Hotel.
A third victim, a 23-year-old man, was wounded in the leg, police said at the time.
Ka’-Carlos has voluntarily remained closed since the shooting, according to Daniel Pokaski, chairman of Boston Licensing Board. The board has scheduled a hearing on Tuesday to review the shooting and on Wednesday will vote whether to roll back Ka’-Carlos's closing time to midnight or earlier.
On the beat
Columnist Shirley Leung says Boston mayor-elect Martin J. Walsh should focus on middle-class housing. Read more