Robert E. Klein for The Boston Globe
If Kyle Bryant had been convicted by a Boston jury in the slaying a decade ago of Chauntae Jones, he would not have been free to allegedly kill a man in Brockton last month, Jones's sister said today.
Shawannika Jones, 38, whose sister was slain in 1999, said that the Boston jury had "let a murderer walk the streets of Brockton."
"I hope every last one of them can't sleep at night," said Jones.
Jones spoke out at Brockton District Court this morning, where Bryant pleaded not guilty to a murder charge in the slaying of Darnell Harrison, 25, of Brockton. Harrison was shot Jan. 5 outside the Lithuanian Café and Family Pizza restaurant on Ames Street.
Bryant's attorney, Elliott Weinstein, said the case against his client was "based largely upon circumstantial evidence."
Bryant was acquitted in 2004 in the Sept. 28, 1999, slaying of 14-year-old Chauntae Jones. Prosecutors said Bryant had conspired to kill the teen, who was eight months pregnant, in order to cover up a potential statutory rape investigation.
Judge Paul McCallum ordered Bryant held without bail until a March 17 status hearing.
Chauntae Jones's mother, Pamela, also attended the hearing at the Brockton courthouse, as well as Neuza Barros, Harrison's girlfriend, who had one child by Harrison and is expecting a second.
She agreed with the Jones family that Bryant should have been convicted the first time. "I feel the same way. He shouldn't have been allowed out the first time. He wouldn't have been able to kill my kids' father. ... Now I'm having a baby with no father," she said.
Martin Finucane of the Globe staff contributed to this report.
On the beat
Columnist Shirley Leung says Boston mayor-elect Martin J. Walsh should focus on middle-class housing. Read more