Fourteen people are homeless today after a two-alarm fire damaged a Chinatown building housing a convenience store and four floors of apartments.
Three firefighters were taken to Boston hospitals for treatment of smoke inhalation, cuts and debris in the eyes as a result of the fire that caused an estimated $1 million damage, said Steve MacDonald, a Boston Fire Department spokesman.
Firefighters rushed to the building at 11 Hudson St. around 12:30 p.m. The basement and first floor of the brick building is occupied by the store and upper floors are apartments.
The cause of the fire was identified as an electrical short circuit in the entryway ceiling of the residential portion of the building, MacDonald said. The store has a separate entrance, he said.
MacDonald said 11 adults and three children have been forced to leave their homes. He said the fire caused cracks on the exterior walls and appeared to have weakened floors inside the building.
City building inspectors have been called in to check for structural safety, and residents have been evacuated at least until an inspection is completed, he said.
The American Red Cross will help affected families, MacDonald said.
On the beat
Columnist Shirley Leung says Boston mayor-elect Martin J. Walsh should focus on middle-class housing. Read more