A carelessly discarded cigarette started a fire that displaced 13 people and caused substantial damage to a triple-decker home in Dorchester Saturday night, a Boston Fire Department spokesman said.
Firefighters responded to the one-alarm blaze at 97 Welles Ave. at 8:15 p.m., said Steve MacDonald, fire department spokesman.
The fire started on the second-floor back porch and spread to the third floor porch, eventually reaching parts of the interior. MacDonald said the fire caused an estimated $150,000 in damage.
Two of the 13 displaced residents were children, MacDonald said. The Red Cross has been notified so it can offer assistance to the residents.
On the beat
Columnist Shirley Leung says Boston mayor-elect Martin J. Walsh should focus on middle-class housing. Read more