SUDBURY -- Investigators are probing why a rented house in this western suburb did not have electricity and why a diesel generator was running in its closed garage, leading to a fatal dose of carbon monoxide for one of the four people sleeping inside early this morning.
Firefighters responded to a 911 call at 23 Old County Road around 3:30 a.m.
Aida Rosane, the 911 caller, told WBZ-TV that she woke up and could barely breathe, then managed to work up the strength to call for help.
Rosane was treated and released from MetroWest Medical Center in Framingham.
Sudbury Fire Chief Ken MacLean, said that three others were in the home. Two men were airlifted to Massachusetts General Hospital in critical condition with life-threatening illness. A third man was taken to MetroWest Medical Center, where he later died.
MacLean said he was baffled by the gas generator running inside the home.
"You keep hearing -- especially after the ice storm of 2008 -- about how dangerous it is to run generators in the house," he said in an interview at the scene this morning. "It leads to tragedy."
MacLean said power was out in the home, but he did not speculate why there wasn't electrical service. He said the four residents were renting the home. Calls to utility companies were not immediately returned.
Fire officials said there was no evidence of working carbon monoxide detectors, which are required under state law.
The state fire marshal's office says the number of carbon monoxide-related calls has risen every year since the 2006 enactment of Nicole's Law, which requires the detectors.
The names of the victims have not yet been released.
"We're just shocked and saddened," MacLean said. "It's a real tragedy."
John M. Guilfoil can be reached at email@example.com
On the beat
Columnist Shirley Leung says Boston mayor-elect Martin J. Walsh should focus on middle-class housing. Read more